Monday, March 16, 2009

Transmission Trouble in Manzanillo

Just wanted to let you know that we made it to Las Hadas, Manzanillo but with a huge problemo! Yesterday morning when we left the next harbor over, Bahia Santiago, as we were motoring out of the bay to go around the corner, Sidewinder's transmission quit. YIKES! Luckily a little Easterly wind kicked in and we were able to sail out of the bay into the greater bay of Manzanillo and radio Sharon and John on Sunsation, who were already anchored in Las Hadas. Once we made it around the corner, the wind mostly died, and we drifted for quite a while. David, the knight in shining dinghy, began to propel us forward to our destination by tying Worm to the port side of the hull and using the Yamaha at 1.5 knots. We slowly made our way to Las Hadas and were met by a flotilla of helpful cruisers in dinghies ready to help us anchor properly without an engine. I was reminded that there are many cruisers out there who do not have engines and make a practice of this, without any help from friends! We did fine and would not have needed the help, but it certainly was great having all the support!

So, here we are, getting ready to trek over the hill so that we can transmit by VHF a message to a well known local who knows everyone to go to for mechanical help. Wish us luck. Guess we might not be making the trip to Colima, but if we find someone to work on the transmission today, maybe we can still adventure out. I feel quite uneasy about not having an engine which goes into gear, but, as I say, many purist sailors choose to be in that situation. I don't know what the email internet connection is here yet; I will investigate that when we motor into land. Around this bay are three huge resorts, so I know we must be able to connect. I will contact you later today when I can take the computer in with me and I know more.

No comments: