Sunday, May 31, 2009

Still in Bahia del Sol




Yesterday Suzi and I were whining to one another about circumstances beyond our control. Today I received this email, along with the above photos of Mandy departing Bahia del Sol, crossing the infamous bar.
- Kris


I have a much better perspective this morning ( and even last night after meditating and glancing across the glassy estuary up to the volcano and puffy clouds). I am a very lucky person in the middle of an awesome trip, learning a hell of a lot about myself......again. I do need some time to myself and I'm hoping that David will make the trip into San Salvador to pick up the generator and check out the marine store with another boater-surfer. Daniel is going to ship to us a new battery charger for the generator and a new antenna, and, since we will be waiting for that stuff, I hope we will at least do a little surf trip up to Libertad and "the rock" on Tuesday with two other couples who are surfers. We met a young surfer who teaches up there, and it would be great to see him again. I will find the time to read Shantaram this week and begin to pay attention to learning the language once again. The staff here are so helpful, and I have been very lazy, not remembering the palabras they have taught to me. I am going to visit Jan's school tomorrow and help her teach English while the kids teach me Spanish.

In spite of the chlorine, I have been exercising in the pool each day and so far it has not bothered me much. We went out in the ponga this morning to help guide a vivacious young couple, Michael and Jody on their 46' Gulfstar, Savannah, get back out the bar and head south. There was some surf, but between sets the seas were glassy after the rain this morning. All is well and it was fun being out there. Rejuleo, the guide is wonderful.

Last thoughts [about] saying good-bye to Mandy one more time. This time it wasn't quite as difficult because I do believe we will find them again in Costa Rica. Virginia left me with a beautiful poem which has uplifted my spirits and has reminded me of why I am on this journey. I am sending it with this email. Thank you, Virginia. May the weather gods be good to you until we see you again. I am sending some pictures of Mandy leaving; she tossed and turned but with Rejuleo's guidance, once again, made it out safe and sound.

Wild Geese
by Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep seas, the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese high in the clear blue air
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting,
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

4 comments:

Brad finney said...

Hi Dave and Suzi,
Hope all is well. I'm building a boat and was in Newport getting some boat goodies at West Marine. I asked if they knew you--they gave me your blog spot. Is this your main form of communication? Are the boat lines still intact? I'm working in 3 Arch for Bob and Katherine Blackburn. Heard you were coming home--hope to have dinner with you when you get home.

Brad Finney 949-422-3057

virginia cross said...

Great photos of "Mandy" snorkelling!
Of course you will see us again. We are deliberately taking it very easy so it won't take long to find us. Gulf of Fonseca is devine and nobody here. We are with "Savannah"
and meeting some very intersting people at the hotel anchorage on S/E side of Isla Meanguera, even got internet access here.LOVE YOU BOTH. V & R

gitana said...

Ahoy friends! Been thinking of you lots as 6/1 approached and passed. You are still working your way towards the safety of the "little latitudes." I read with relish the stories of your adventures! My breath caught when I saw the photos of you, though, b/c you are so far away. Darling photo of the girl on the "hamaca" (otra palabra para tu). It's amazing that technology provides such communication, something I certainly did not have 12 years ago. Fair winds and following seas...Gitana de la mare (Jude)

buddhabikeryaya said...

Aloha from San Clemente...I've been enjoying your blogging with the ever vigilant editor Kris on watch. I read every one...it's like the Travel Channel only with people you enjoy watching. Hope all your parts get there ASAP.

I have to tell you a weird thing. I just read that poem for the first time tonight in a book I am giving all 4 of my fired English Dept. Teaching With Fire...it is a non sappy realistic compilation of teachers in the trenches. I read "Wild Geese" and decided that had to go on my wall at work...only to see you had it here the very same night. I love that kind of thing!! Despite being half a world away...we send our love and best wishes your way. Be safe and enjoy the ride.