Friday, July 10, 2009

Last Day in Nicaragua


Once again I feel like I am running out of time for writing, downloading pictures from our hike, last day of buying fresh produce at the mercado, and still wanting to go out to Playa Madera for the last of the exploring. We checked out with the Puerto Capitan and immigration this morning and have plans to have dinner with Virginia and Richard, and Scott, the friend of Conor's we ran into, and to listen to some very cool Nicaraguan music. My, how busy life can be when you have the opportunity to play!

This is a very special country and is quite unspoiled by development as of yet. There definitely still are many pockets of very poor neighborhoods along the edges of this quite touristy, Laguna Beach-type town, and I'm sad that I have not had the opportunity to venture inland to the lake and the island volcanoes that are supposed to be spectacular. The cities of Leone and Granada are also wonderful and deserve our attention.

The people are proud to be Nicaraguans and I truly hope they will continue to realize the dreams they had when they began the revolution against Samoza long ago. I remember teaching passionately about the Sandinista Revolution and about Reagan's Contras trying to desperately take back control for the powerful U S interests. I am quite surprised the people still embrace us and welcome us so wholeheartedly. It feels really safe here, and someday I will return to explore the land more fully. I hope they develop with wisdom because the land is so beautiful and they have so much. The green rolling hills provide homes to an incredible diverse eco-system, and it is really nice to not see golf courses and hotels anywhere. The development here is very low-key so far, and I do hope they will have the opportunity to grow with deep love for their land. This week has flown by, and onward we go. The next sailmail I send will be from Bahia St Elena [Costa Rica]. Wish us fair weather! Love to all, Suzi and David

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzi and David,
Thank you again for the adventures and education that you are sharing.
If you see Stu in Costa Rica, give him my best.
Best of luck on your travels,

From the(former)sand flea.