Thursday, June 17, 2010

Toau

This late afternoon colorful sunset finds me reflecting on the incredible beauty of this atoll. We have definitely found a very special place on this planet and it will take a few days to fully embrace it all. Visually it is stunning from dawn to dusk. The clarity both in and out of the water seems unreal, along with the colors that abound. The water is many shades of aqua, the sky a deep blue, the island lined with palms of many shades of green along with a white sand beach that make you realize the screen-saver so many people have on their computer is a real place. 


We are at Anse Amyot, a slot in the reef which appears to be a pass but is actually a cul-de-sac blocked by a coral bank across the inner side, and we sit safely on a mooring. The couple, Valentine and Gaston, who own this motu, are so wonderfully friendly and love "yachties". We are having dinner with them tomorrow evening to help pay for our secure mooring and to show them our appreciation. We can dive from our boat in amazingly clear water; the colorful coral is awesome, and the wide variety of exotic fish abound. WOW! This is so special!!!!! We are enjoying evenings of playing music with some other cruisers and Valentine and Gaston both play wonderful local melodies that make my heart soar. The tropical breezes are perfect and we are trying to grasp it all. Wish we could send some pictures but know it is just like in the pictures and more.  Wish you were here.


For those of you following on GoogleEarth, I think S&D's coordinates are 15°48'9.73"S  146° 9'11.48"W, a pretty amazing spot. The photo at top is of that current moorage, if I am correct. 
-Kris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave and Suzi... sounds like, for lack of better word,... "paradise" Not everyday you have dinner with the owner of an island or even a motu. AAwesome!!
I'm here with my dad and Lauren at his house reading your blog... you are my heros...
Love Billy
Hi guys---Lauren here. Dad is doing pretty well after his prostate surgery (I emailed you about it last week). He's a tough old cowboy. He says hello. I read him your latest blog today. Kelly came to visit him while I was here 2 days ago. Nice. Stay safe. We, like everyone, are enjoying our voyage vicariously.
Love, Lauren

Anonymous said...

I meant "enjoying YOUR voyage vicarously!"
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Dear David and Suzie,

Your trip has inspired me to travel the world (vicariously) via Goggle Earth, thank you. I am also loving your poetic rendering of places not spoiled by oil etc.
"the sand flea"