Thursday, September 16, 2010

Another Rainy Day

As David has been working all day on the refrigeration motor which seems to have died, I have been playing around with my little pressure cooker trying to cook black beans without much success, and periodically, in between showers on deck, writing. I hope your day has been more beautiful and productive than mine. Poor David is so frustrated and, once again, we face the good possibility of life without refrigeration. Oh well, things can always be worse! I will write my thoughts on Willie for the blog, but please know that I will never feel like I have adequately paid tribute to my precious Willie.

As I have tried to write my thoughts about Willie to all of those who are following the blog, I find myself so limited and at a loss for the right words to say what I feel. The only way that a tribute to the gentle incredibly strong soul who impacted my life in so many ways is to write a letter to him. So, here is my first letter to Willie.


Dearest Willie, While I try to let go of my overwhelming sadness, still planted on this Earth, I have so much to thank you for and I will continue to be inspired by your incredible energy and love for life on this planet. From the moment I met you at age 12, you have been the most perfect cowboy, doctor, lover of nature, non-stop funny, loving, kind, sensitive, bright, interested human being, the most perfect husband and lover of my cousin Annie, and the the very best Dad in the world. I feel privileged to have been given a lifetime of adventures inspired by you. Each experience with you, especially on the ranch, taught me the joy of exploring the unknown with confidence and approaching each day with exuberant enthusiasm. Horses always sensed your sensitivity and skill, the cattle were calmed by your presence, and the hawks and eagles soared to celebrate your existence. Hunting for the perfect Easter/Spring celebration spot full of flowers of every size and color, and sharing thoughts, feelings, and tears with the whole family will continue on forever because of you and Lauren, loving the land and revering life so much. Taking the time to listen and pay attention to the wild is a deep part of who I am today, and I am grateful for your guidance. You blessed my wedding to David by walking me down the 9th Street stairs, while we both vowed to not cry, and I know that my Dad was smiling. You welcomed David whole-heartedly into the family and always made my friends feel as special as they truly are. You touched so many hearts and souls with your generosity and expertise, and the world will not be the same without you here. I do know, though, that your presence will continue to be felt and that each time the eagle soars overhead you will be checking out what is happening below. I love you, Willie, and will miss you so. Thank you for continuing to listen.

There is so much more to say, but this is all for now. It was good for me to write again and to cry again.      The rain has finally stopped and maybe we will leave tomorrow, depending upon the weather forecast, but I am not sure David will be ready after having such a frustrating day today. We shall see.  Love to you, buddy. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzie,
That was as beautiful a tribute as I have ever heard. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful influence in your life. Count your blessings, my Dear, not everyone is as lucky as you.
I never met Mr. Willie Reeves, but from how you have discribed him, I bet he would tell you to honor him by celebrating love and life the way you always have, and not to let his passing make you feel that a piece of you has been stolen away. On the contrary, that piece has been sealed and stowed in a very special place in your heart that can never be taken away. Lucky you! Smile on!!!
Love you,
YOCOM and his Lovely Wife, Jane

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzie and David,
Thank you for the tribute to your beloved Willie, a life well lived. Wishing you the best, smooth sailing my friends.
the "sand flea"

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzi & David,

Little do you know, I have been clandestinely reading your blog every few days since Lauren shared it with me awhile ago. I have been somewhat living vicariously through you (except all the trials and tribulations of sailing) as you journey the world.

After I learned of Willie's passing Sunday night, I had a hunch you would write something very poignant. And you did not disappoint! I weep along with you.

I have not known Willie nearly as long as you, though he had a very special place in my heart too. Although friends Yocom & Jane make a good point to celebrate Willie, speaking for myself, the sadness is not just that he died, but that we will no longer have him to share his love & great wisdom. Of course, it's inevitable that a person in their 80's will die at some point, however, Willie was one of those special and rare people who you hoped would NEVER leave the earth before we did.

Big hugs are sent your way and I'm sure family will share all the details of what will likely be a remarkable memorial and tribute to Willie later this month.

Take care.

Love,

Jana Falej (Lauren's friend)