Thursday, September 2, 2010

At Sea: 1 Day Down, 5 to Go

Location: S 15 23  W 154 42   Good winds 10-18 kts and pretty mellow seas, although they, of course, are most often coming from the north, and the wind is from the east right now. Last night, though, was absolutely beautiful and calm during my watch, and again I realized why I love to sail. The spiritual essence of night sailing is beyond description as I listen to music while gazing at the billions of stars. Mr. Half-moon smiled at me around 1:00, and the warm trades blew gently. 


Today we had mostly a great day of sailing wing on wing until two squalls hit us suddenly; it is not so gentle and calm tonight, but oh well. Ah yes, David caught an incredibly beautiful mahi yesterday about a half an hour out at sea with the new lure he bought from Joe at Bloody Mary's. I cried when I saw the fish of course; I just can't stop that initial reaction watching such beauty die, and it is crazy because, of course, I like to eat the lovely fish. Oh well. Tonight the rocky rollies have David and me a bit edgey, but it certainly could be worse! We will keep in touch.

No comments: